Snow - It's not just snow balls
Tuesday Jan 10th, 2017Share
Winter is upon us. The snow has been fairly consistent as of late - a perfect time to brush up on some important information regarding snow removal in Oakville.
The Town of Oakville’s website is the best resource when it comes to plowing and salting of our roadways and sidewalks, it even has a interactive snow plow tracker tool that offers real-time images of major roadways as well as plowing routes.
A few things to remember:
- Salt/sand trucks are dispatched at the start of a snowfall and at the first sign of the roads beginning to ice. Trucks start with the primary roads.
- When snow begins to accumulate, primary and secondary roads are cleared first to ensure that you, and emergency service vehicles can travel safely.
- Sidewalks are cleared after snow accumulates in excess of five centimetres.
How you can help:
- Remove snow from fire hydrants and drainage catch basins near your property.
- Pile snow on the right side of your driveway (when facing the road) when shovelling. This helps minimize the ridge of snow created by the snowplow at the end of your driveway.
- Remove plowed snow at the end of your driveway. Snowplow operators must push snow to the curb or shoulder, possibly covering recently shovelled driveways.
- Park vehicles off the street when possible.
For further information, please visit the Town’s website here. You can also call the dedicated snow information line at 905-815-5999.
Remember to take your time and put safety first.