Positive Changes Coming to Ontario Condo Boards
Thursday Jul 27th, 2017
The government of Ontario recently announced a mini overhaul of some existing regulations under Ontario’s Condo Laws that are set to increase transparency and efficiency.
On a high level, some of these changes intend to:
- increase communication between boards and owners
- implement training for condo directors
- expose any conflicts of interest
- increase access to records
- streamline disputes/complaints
- make it easier for owners to participate in meetings
In addition to the new rules, the announcement also mentioned the establishment of the Condominium Authority of Ontario (CAO), which will promote the awareness of owner rights and responsibilities, and the Condominium Management Regulatory Authority of Ontario (CMRAO), which will regulate and licence condo managers.
The new rules are to be phased in over a year beginning this Sept 1, 2017.
For full details on these upcoming changes, please visit the Provincial Government’s dedicated page HERE.